The history of hemp goes back thousands of years. But with the rise in the popularity of cannabis, the production and use of hemp have increased exponentially.
It was first cultivated by humans around 10,000 years ago and has been used worldwide ever since. Hemp has the potential to be the number one biomass resource on our planet and a sustainable option to help reduce greenhouse emissions. In addition, cannabis is rich in health-giving properties that should not be ignored.
What Is Hemp?
Hemp is a variety of the Cannabis Sativa plant mostly grown for industrial uses. Unlike the cannabis you buy at a dispensary, hemp contains very low THC levels (less than 0.3%) and does not produce a “high.” As a result, it does not have the same restrictions as cannabis. In fact, in 2018, Congress passed the Agriculture Improvement Act which removed hemp from the Controlled Substances Act altogether. This allowed U.S.-based farmers to grow and sell hemp products in 50 states, including Orange County dispensaries.
What Is Hemp Used For?
Hemp has several industrial uses, including:
- Clothing and textiles: Hemp fabric is incredibly versatile. It resists wrinkles, doesn’t shrink in the wash, and has antibacterial properties to help control odors.
- It can be formed into seat cushions, upholstery fabric, bed sheets, towels, shower curtains, shoes, and other clothing items.
- Building materials: Hempcrete blocks are inexpensive to make, can be used as a building material, and are even stronger than concrete.
- Paper: Hemp paper is more durable and of higher quality than trees.
- Building materials: Hemp is used for making paints, varnishes, particle board, carpets, insulation, bricks, and cement.
- You can find hemp extract in soaps, shampoos, salves, and other personal care products, and it has even become a preferred ingredient for many celebrities.
While there are many uses for hemp, the most important ones relate to its health benefits. These have been explored and documented in research and clinical studies.
Hemp For Food
Hemp seeds are a good source of nutrients, including essential fatty acids and amino acids. They can be eaten raw, sprouted, ground into flour to add nutrition to bread and cereals, or pressed for oil rich in omega 3 and omega 6 essential fatty acids (EFAs) that may reduce the risk of heart disease and arthritis.
Hemp milk, which is just water that has been mixed with ground hemp seeds, tastes very similar to almond milk and is popular among those who are lactose intolerant. You can also use hemp protein powder for protein in smoothies, shakes, and other recipes. Since it doesn’t affect brain function, hemp products are safe for children and pets alike.
Hemp For Health Benefits
When people think of cannabis, they often imagine a psychoactive plant used to make a recreational drug. But in reality, there are several plants in cannabis that contain powerful compounds that can be used as medicine without the high.
Cannabidiol, more commonly known as CBD, is a natural compound found in hemp. It is one of many cannabinoids or chemical compounds found inside Cannabis Sativa. CBD has been shown to have numerous medicinal benefits, which may include:
- Pain relief: CBD may be an effective pain reliever, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. It can block the body’s pain signals as they travel through the nervous system.
- Suppressing seizures: CBD may have significant seizure-fighting properties, which are particularly good at controlling pediatric epilepsy.
- Treatment of mental health conditions: CBD can be used to treat people with schizophrenia, post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, multiple sclerosis, and bipolar disorder.
- Reducing anxiety: CBD has strong anti-anxiety properties that may help people suffering from mental health conditions like fear or stress. It has also been known to be effective at fighting general anxiety disorders.
CBD products are available in a variety of forms in any dispensary OC, including:
- CBD oils: CBD oils and tinctures offer a simple way to take in CBD. Many people prefer CBD oils because they are convenient and discreet; you can take them with you on the go, mixed in food or drink, or even straight under the tongue if preferred.
- Topicals: You can apply topicals such as lotions and creams containing CBD directly to the skin to benefit from the extracted compounds. This is one of the best ways for people suffering from pain to use CBD, as it may offer immediate relief for sore muscles and joints anywhere on the body.
- Vaporizers: Vaping CBD oil or e-juice containing CBD has become increasingly popular; you can enjoy the benefits of CBD with the added enjoyment of inhaling the vapor.
- Edibles: Another popular way to get your daily dose of CBD is through edibles – you can buy everything from gummies and chocolate bars to honey sticks and even CBD coffee.
- Sublingual: This form may be one of the most convenient ways to take CBD, as it does not need to be ingested and goes directly into the bloodstream through absorption under your tongue.
Hemp is a versatile commodity that can be used in many different areas and forms. When shopping for hemp-based CBD products, it’s important to know what you’re getting so you can make the best purchases for your needs. It’s also important to follow the rules and restrictions concerning hemp in your area when purchasing or using CBD products. If you have any questions about hemp or CBD, always consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How Can You Get Your Hemp Products?
Now that you know all there is to know about what hemp products are available, where can you find them? Planet 13 Dispensaries is the best OC dispensary that offers various cannabis products for new and experienced users. Whether it is edibles, vaporizers, tinctures, topicals, or CBD oils, we have something for everyone.
We also offer various strains and products, and shoppers can either find them by coming into the store and picking them up or opting for the delivery option. Do you want your special order to be ready when you arrive? Place it ahead of time, and we will make sure that it is waiting for you!
For more information on our products or orders, contact us today.